Friday 27 May 2011

The shoe's on the other foot

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you think you're helping someone, but in reality they end up helping you? I find myself in that position quite a lot nowadays. 

Whether it's at Credo, at home or work, with family, just about everywhere I go, I encounter this role reversal, and each and every time I am surprised by it.

My most recent reality-check was this morning. We were gathering for 15 minutes before we started serving lunch. As part of this time we often sing a few songs. I had been busy adding the finishing touches to the chicken and dumpling soup we were about to eat, and so missed the first couple of songs.

As I joined the circle and started singing with the rest of the group, an amazing thing happened. One of the women, who is a regular at Credo, smiled and gestured to me to come in closer. Now, I had been in Credo since shortly after 10am that morning, I'd been boiling and chopping and frying in that kitchen for almost two hours. But something about that gesture, and that smile made me feel more welcome in the space, than any of the cooking I could do. I realised, in that moment, that I was accepted, irrespective of what I had, or did.

It's like when someone says to me, "Oh, you're such a good person for doing what you do." I feel like saying to them, if only you knew, if only you knew how much I gain for the little I give.

No comments:

Post a Comment