Friday 20 May 2011

By way of introduction:

As we were talking about the blog this afternoon Danyelle came up with a wonderful suggestion: "Why don't each of us explain how we came to be at Credo?"

Mehrin's perspective:

I found out about Credo Cafe around three years ago now, through a friend from church. He invited me to come and see what he did during the week. We met at the Town Hall on Swanston St and he led me up little Collins St, and down a dead-end laneway. At first I didn't know what to think, as he banged on a glass window and someone came to the door. I remember coming into Credo for the first time, and sitting at the table, asking what was for lunch. "Spag Bol" someone said, and I thought, great, no worries, this'll be delish! Then my mate told me it was made with kangaroo mince..."What!" I said, blawking at the thought of eating kangaroo. "It's roo!" he said again, trying to keep it quiet. Now, I have tried many exotic foods over the years: tripe, lamb's testicles, centurian egg...the list goes on, but never before, had I even thought about eating kangaroo. What was I to do? I was a guest, I didn't want to be rude. So, I tried a little bit, it was so rich, after three or four mouthfuls I was full, I excused myself from the table and cleared my plate.

Food aside, my first few experiences of Credo were eye opening. I couldn't believe how many people were university educated, and yet still found themselves sleeping rough, or in bed-sits and boarding houses. My knowledge of homelessness and it's impact, was next to nothing before I started hanging out at Credo. Now I learn so much, each week, as we sit down to lunch together.

No comments:

Post a Comment